Wellington NSWone of 18 regions in the HIGHWAY WEST family of Town sites.
In 1840 J. B. Montefiore subdivided the western section of his estate and the village known as Montefiores was established.
Montefiores was a community before Wellington was established. The town was strategically placed at the point where all traffic and provisions had to cross the river.
Apart from the Lion of Waterloo only a few of the original buildings remain.
The Lion of Waterloo:
The exterior front wall of the Lion of Waterloo is constructed of hand-cut ironbark slabs and inside some of the bricks still show the sign of the convict brickmakers. It is one of the few remaining slab timber buildings still standing from the colonial era of Australia's history.
It once served as a changing station for Cobb & Co coaches. They crossed the Bell River behind the Inn - horses were changed and passengers were able to eat, drink and refresh.
A large majority of all the coaches that came across the Macquarie River also stopped at the hotel making it a highly successful business.
Nowadays there is a park at the Bell River crossing, close to the hotel, where you can picnic and visualize the coach and horses ploughing their way through the water.
The Lion of Waterloo continues on today. This relic of yesteryear has had recent renovations and operates as wine bar, restaurant and function centre.
It still gives a warm welcome to visitors and shares some great tales of its rich and colourful past. It is said that in 1854, the last duel known of in Australia was to fought with pistols outside the Lion of Waterloo.
The Lion of Waterloo Hotel and Montefiores:
The Lion of Waterloo Hotel is in Montefiores, Wellington, Central West NSW.
The site of one of the original hotels in the Wellington area it dates back to 1841 and was first licensed in April, 1842, making it the oldest licensed hotel west of the Blue Mountains that is still standing..
Follow the Mitchell Highway North across the Macquarie River towards Geurie and Dubbo. This takes you to Montefiores with the Lion of Waterloo at the end of the first street on the left after crossing the bridge - Montefiores Street.