Wellington is located in the Wellington Valley at the junction of the Macquarie and Bell Rivers at the foot of Mt Arthur - in Central NSW, Central West NSW Australia.
In the centre of town, Cameron Park is a delight, with luxurious stands of cool trees and quiet gardens for the visitor. The Park makes up one side of the main street running down to the Bell River. (Nanima Cres. is the main St & also a section of the Mitchell Highway).
Wellington is a popular stopover on the Mitchell Highway. The Wellington Caves and Phosphate Mine, Mount Arthur Reserve and the close proximity to Lake Burrendong and all its water activities as well as the Botanic Garden and Arboretum draw many visitors each year to Wellington.
The second oldest town west of the Blue Mountains, it was first settled in 1823 and has an array of historic buildings and homes. It was the site of the first hotel west of the mountains (The Lion of Waterloo) and that establishment, licensed in 1842, is still operating today. Believe it or not, opposite that hotel is the site of the last known duel fought in Australia in 1854.
Wellington is a service centre for the surrounding district with the principal production being wool, beef, wheat, some wine, manufacturing and tourism.
Picnic Areas, Trails and Lookouts with spectacular views of the river junction and the Wellington Valley. The Mount Arthur Reserve takes in three peaks - Mount Arthur, Wellesly and Duke - covers 1300 ha of bushland creating a sanctuary for a large number of birds, animals and plants.